Birmingham Big Art Project
Birmingham Big Art Foundation was established in 2015 with the aim of commissioning internationally significant landmark public artwork for Birmingham that could support and expand the idea of a twenty first century city. We believe that art is a vital part of our city’s past, present and future.
In 2016 we ran the ‘Birmingham Big Art Project’ competition which resulted in a shortlist of proposals by Roger Hiorns, Susan Philipsz, Heather and Ivan Morison, Brian Griffiths and Keith Wilson. Following an exhibition of the shortlisted proposals Susan Philipsz was appointed as artist for the Birmingham Big Art Project commission with her proposal ‘Station Clock’ in 2017.
Birmingham Big Art Project’s mission is to:
- Deliver an iconic and innovative permanent public artwork for Birmingham
- Celebrate the culture and heritage of Birmingham
- Add value to Birmingham’s cultural offer and enhance the city’s reputation
- Reinforce Birmingham place on the world’s cultural map
Our core values are:
- Promoting and supporting cultural production in the city
- Increasing access to and inclusion in culture for all Birmingham’s diverse publics
Delivering iconic and innovative permanent public artwork for Birmingham